Born in Montgomery, WV in 1951 but a resident of Greensboro since 1956, Greg Hyslop has been a long standing member of the piedmont North Carolina jazz community. He graduated from Berklee College of Music (Boston) in 1977 and returned to his hometown to marry his wife, Betsy and raise their two daughters, Lydia and Dorian.
With his hollow-bodied electric guitar, Hyslop performs straight ahead jazz with a bebop flavor. He has released two recordings so far. The first was a session with Kenny Werner on piano and John Riley on drums entitled Manhattan Date. This 1987 LP was rated four stars in Down Beat magazine.
The second recording, simply titled The Greg Hyslop Trio featured David Fox on piano and Charles Gambetta on bass. This cd of chamber jazz includes two originals as well as jazz standards.
Following is a list of some of Greg's musical accomplishments:
• Served as a NC Visiting Artist for two years (1981-1983)
• Performed in concert with jazz legends Dizzy Gillespie, Tal Farlow, Herb Ellis and Charley Byrd
• Received NC Arts Council Jazz Fellowship (1987)
• Toured with Loonis McGlohon and Charles Kuralt in production of North Carolina Is My Home (1985-1990)
• Teacher at Greensboro College and Guilford College (1993-2010)
• Teacher at National Guitar Workshop-Summer (2004)
• Author of 10 Jazz Guitar Solos-instructional book/CD (2004)