Organist/Pianist Gary Brunotte started taking accordion lessons when he was nine and debuted as a professional musician at eleven. He switched to organ and performed with R & B and rock bands as a teenager then discovered jazz in the late 1960’s listening to recordings by organist Jimmy Smith and guitarist Howard Roberts. While attending Berklee College of Music in the 1970’s he switched to piano.
Gary recorded his debut CD in 1993 using Eric Marienthal on sax and Jimmy Johnson on electric bass. He recorded 4 additional CDs from 2003 - 2008.
His 2007 CD, Manic Moments featured several great local musicians from the Triangle, and his most recent CD, About Time, was recorded in 2008 as co-leader with a former Berklee classmate. It successfully made it on the Jazz Week charts receiving a good amount of airplay both nationally and internationally.
The following is a list of some of Gary's musical accomplishments:
• Taught at Berklee College of Music in Boston (1977-1980)
• Recorded debut CD Yesterday's Dream with Eric Marienthal/sax and Jimmy Johnson/bass
• Recorded 4 more Jazz CDs from 2003 - 2008 featuring Gary on Piano and Organ
• Performed in concert with jazz greats Lionel Hampton, Mark Whitfield, Bobby Shew, Byron Stripling,
the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, Shirley Witherspoon
• Received a National Endowment for the Arts Grant to write & perform a suite for big band
• Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Master of Music – Jazz from NC Central Univ(2010)
• Founded Summit Music Publishing (1992) which sold original big band and combo compositions/arrangements to colleges